Our bodies evolved to handle stress. There are myriad reactions that occur when we perceive danger that helped us survive. Unfortunately, in 2013 – when, technically, we have never been safer as a species – we perceive danger at every turn. The result is a nervous system that is burned out to the max. Consider these facts:
- Forty-three percent of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
- Seventy-five percent to 90% of all doctor’s office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
- Stress can play a part in problems such as headaches, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, skin conditions, asthma, arthritis, depression, and anxiety.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) declared stress a hazard of the workplace. Stress costs American industry more than $300 billion annually.
- The lifetime prevalence of an emotional disorder is more than 50%, often due to chronic, untreated stress reactions.
- Some of the effects of stress:
Shrink the brain
Cause Cancer in Rats
Prematurely age Kids
Negatively Affect your Offspring’s Genetics
Increase your risk of Substance Abuse
Increase risk of Chronic Diseases
Raise the Risk of Stroke
Worsen the Common Cold
The simple solution to stress is the Serenity Prayer: “Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” The beauty of this prayer is that it perfectly distills our options: We can take action to reduce the precipitants of stress, or we can raise our capacity to deal with them.
If you think you need some help doing this, let me know.
If you or a loved one needs help, contact Jeff at (941) 586-0929